Ciemon Dunville, Alan Pope, Tony Whitmore, Dave Walker and the snoozing producer Laura Cowen are back once more with a monster episode of the Ubuntu Podcast from the UK Local Community Support Team.
At over 1.5 hours this is our longest episodes ever. Sorry to those of you who prefer short shows. We’ll try and curb our babbling in future. In our defence we have a fantastic interview that we just couldn’t cut up. Enjoy. As ever, your feedback is always welcome, details at the end of this post.
In this week’s show:-
- What we’ve been doing this week including more Ubuntu server upgrades, using stills2DV in a secret project, falling over in the woods, building burial mounds, using the PAE kernel, and reinstalling 64-bit Ubuntu, using Gnome Disk Utility, getting Asterisk 1.6 into Karmic and looking for Server Tips .
- We interview Richard Johnson who talks about his work on Kubuntu and Ubuntu, MOTU and the MOTU Council, the Regional Membership Boards and puts us straight on a couple of things.
- The News:-
- Linux kernel vulnerability
- Quake live gets Mac and Linux support
- Canonical and Ubuntu Firefox maintainers get a kicking
- Archlinux 2009.09 out
- Debian backtrack on the December time-based freeze
- Mark Shuttleworth offers Ubuntu devs to Debian
- Microsoft Word on the run
- Dell quashes Linux return rate FUD
- Seven reasons to skip Windows 7
- We announce some upcoming events:-
- September 19th – All around the world, Software Freedom Day
- September 19th – Dublin, OSSBarCamp
- September 19th – IBM Facility on Northside Parkway, Atlanta, GA, USA, Atlanta Linux Fest
- September 21st – 23rd – Portland Oregon, LinuxCon
- September 25th – 27th – Greater Columbus Convention Center in downtown Columbus, Ohio, USA, Ohio Linux Fest
- September 28th – London, Launchpad Community Meet Up
- October 2nd to 4th – All around the world, Ubuntu Global Jam
- October 24th – Newhampton arts centre, Wolverhampton, UK, LUGRadio Live 2009
- October 25th – Somewhere in Wolverhampton – OggCamp – A joint venture between Linux Outlaws and Ubuntu UK Podcast
- November 3rd – Bloomsbury Theatre, London, Comedy gig in aid of Bletchley Park
- February 6th to 7th February 2010 – University Libre Brussels, Belgium, FOSDEM
- Command Line
- Produce nicely formatted printable man pages:-
$ man -t byobu | ps2pdf - > man_byobu.pdf $ man byobu | col -b > man_byobu.txt
- In a segment called ‘Who Do You Think You Were?’ we discuss how we’ve changed over the years with respect to Free and Open Source Software.
- We announce the winner to the competition to win a £20 Canonical store voucher.
- We delve into the
Ubuntu Ecosphere Gerald Harold Phyllis Dustophere, MargretNigella!
- There is no tray icon in GNOME
- Is it time for an Ubuntu Set Top Box Remix
- DjL releases open source game manager
- Bug: #ubuntu irc channel too noisy
- Terra A20 Netbook with Ubuntu pre-installed
- System76 Gazelle Ultra Netbook also with Ubuntu pre-installed
- Ubuntu Karmic Alpha 4 out
- Ubuntu One to give all users 2GB of free online storage
- Patent Policy Published
- And finally we cover your emails, tweets and dents and voicemail since our last show
Comments and suggestions are welcomed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave a voicemail via phone: +44 (0) 845 508 1986, sip: email@example.com and skype: ubuntuukpodcast
Follow our twitter feed http://twitter.com/uupc
Follow us on Identi.ca http://identi.ca/uupc
Find our Facebook Fan Page
Discuss this episode in the Forums